Estimated reading time: 8 minute(s)
Originally published 11.1.09
My name is Mavis Jackson and I am the mother of five children, four of them boys. I not only was blessed to be a part of the life-changing documentary â€œRaising Boysâ€, I also received the honor of being the woman that God chose to give birth to the extraordinary black man who gave birth to it. It was a privilege to be interviewed and to share my experience, strength and hope about the topic, and having first hand knowledge of that, my son knew I easily qualified.
I was a single mother and for most of my childrenâ€™s lives we were on welfare and food stamps. We had some challenges, but with the help of God and my mother, we made it through them. I had friends who had boys that were going to prison, getting addicted to drugs and making other negative life choices, but my boys didnâ€™t get caught up. Today I believe that was due to the grace of God and the love of a family that would not spare the rod.
The documentary will premiere on November 5, 2009 at the Angelika Theater here in Houston. Anyone wanting to be in the know will want to be in attendance.
- Part 1 of Black Women in America: â€œRaising Boysâ€ by Malaika Gardner
- Part 2 of Black Women in America: “Raising Boys” by Jordannah Nathan
- Part 3 of Black Women in America: â€œRaising Boysâ€ by Alisha Muhammad
- DOUBLE DUTY: The Black Woman’s Struggle Raising Boys Alone
- “Raising Boys” Documentary Houston Premiere November 5