Estimated reading time: 5 minute(s)
The holiday season is a time of year that many people look forward to; when the weather cools and the leaves change into beautiful variations of red and orange. However, for many it’s the most dreaded time of the year. Whether your heart aches from the loss of a loved one or if distance separates you from family and friends, here are 10 ways to fight your holiday woes.
2. Give back! Volunteering for a non-profit organization or tending to those less fortunate is a sure way to realize how blessed you are and to be a blessing to someone else.
3. Treat yourself regularly! A day at a Spa is a sure way to take some of the edge off of the approaching holiday season.
5. Do something different! Create a new tradition with your family.
6. Support is key! Communicate your concerns and anxieties with your family, friends, minister, etc.
7. Get your creative juices flowing! Design a vision board of your future accomplishments and utilize the holiday time to plan your vision all the way through.
9. Avoid negative people and negative talk! These are things that zap your energy and usually add more stress.
10. Put it on paper! Keeping a personal journal is a great way to sort through and process the emotions you are experiencing.
Ebony S. Muhammad is a Certified Thanatologist specializing in Grief and Loss. If you are struggling with the loss of a loved one and would like to learn more about her one-on-one sessions, click here.